Sunday, November 8, 2009

SMACKDOWN!

The videos of the debate between Hitchens and Fry vs. Archbishop John Onaiyekan and Anne Widdencombe have just recently been posted. Too good not to share. I've embedded them all below for easy and chronological viewing. I didn't know much about Stephen Fry before this, but now I want to see/read more.

The thesis being argued in this debate:
"Is the Catholic church a force for good in the world?" The most interesting part is that they polled the audience before and after. My friend, Nik (Ginger Nik), isn't very keen on debates and finds them often unproductive. I'm pleased to report the polling results:

BEFORE:
For - 678
Against - 1102
Undecided - 346

AFTER:
For - 268
Against - 1876
Undecided - 34

Based on this single example (which is never scientific to only pull from one example) I'd say that this sort of debate was quite productive for opponents of the thesis. Bravo and enjoy:

Part I


Part II


Part III


Part IV


Part V

No comments: